From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] no sound
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:36:59
1 > I open mplayer, mpg321, vlc, or flash (youtube) and I have no sound.
2 > ALSA is working.
3 > Hardware is working.
4 > Already did alsaconf + alsamixer.
5 >
6 > Any suggestions?
7
8 To be really sure ALSA is working, I suggest you try aplay. Notice
9 that aplay is minimalistic, and does not support formats like vorbis
10 (AFAIK). Feed a wav to it. Example:
11 aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav
12 Both aplay and /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Right.wav come from
13 media-sound/alsa-utils
14
15 You have a lot of verbosity with aplay -v
16
17 Also notice that many mixer controls have not only a volume bar, but
18 also a setting of muted or unmuted. A mixer control may show its bar
19 at 100% but be muted, which could be confusing if you are not familiar
20 with alsamixer. In my case least, the relevant mixer controls for a
21 wav file are "Master" and "PCM". Both are stereo, both have volume
22 bars, but only "PCM" has a mute/unmute setting.
23 I don't know if this is your case, this wasn't clear from your
24 screenshot. Can you get a png screenshot and send directly to my
25 email?. Of course, it would be better if the alsamixer screen was
26 maximized when you take the screenshot.
27
28 Also, to test with another OS could be useful. Do you have any LiveCD?
29 --
30 Software is like sex: it is better when it is free - Linus Torvalds