From: David Abbott <dabbott@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Iron penguin on usb?
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:36:32
1 On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 2:21 PM, thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 19/11/14 22:15, James wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > Ok the latest release of livedvd is here:
7 >
8 > https://www.gentoo.org/news/20140826-livedvd.xml
9 >
10 > from the forum link from the news article
11 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-995118.html
12 > "One of the great things about this new livedvd besides that it contains
13 > over 1200 packages is that it now supports full / persistency meaning that
14 > you can boot this livedvd, make tweaks as you like and reboot while
15 > retaining those changes. It's more like a Gentoo to Go if you ask me. "
16 > and
17 > "Another great feature which will be ported to all minimal install cds is
18 > support for UEFI. This image even boots on MAC OSX hardware! Yes you heard
19 > it right! "
20 >
21 > nice pie, well done to the gentoo devs
24 > So my understanding is you can put this on a usb stick. Run
25 > gentoo live, download packages, set flags, install packages
26 > and save them to the USB stick? So it's a portable gentoo
27 > workstation on a usb stick?
28 >
29 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO
32 > Are these the best instructions to follow to createa usb bootable
33 > live gentoo image? It has to be able to install new packages and
34 > save those to the usb stick.
37 Likewhoa just put this together for the LiveDVD media, he is the one
38 who builds them;
39
40 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveDVD-Persistence-Mode
43 David Abbott (dabbott)