From: "Yuri K. Shatroff" <yks-uno@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 07:11:25
1 24.02.2014 02:32, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 23/02/2014 20:18, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> I don't think forking would attract much developers. Writing something
4 >> new trying to follow "the*nix design principles", but being modern and
5 >> with the same features (all of them optional, of course) of systemd
6 >> will have more chances; although I think it will fail because most of
7 >> the people that can code "better" actually like the systemd design,
8 >> and would prefer to contribute to it.
9 >>
10 >> And if you found enough of this mythical good-coders, good luck
11 >> defining what it means "the*nix design principles".
14 > I've been wondering about this concept of "the*nix design principles"...
15 >
16 > I've now concluded it's a myth, much like invisible pink unicorns.
17
18 I may not be an authority, too. But please allow me to refute your
19 arguments.
20
21 > Is it like the kernel? A huge monolithic chunk of code with support for
22 > modules?
23
24 It ain't. No monolithic chunk of code, it's configurable.
25
26 > Is it like X11? A huge monolithic chunk of code that has a bizarre build
27 > system for years, and took something like 5 years of hard work to get it
28 > modular? And is 20 years behind the times? And *still* requires devs to
29 > jump through hoops to get a rendered image through a compositor and back
30 > up the the GPU?
31
32 It's grown to that, but in the beginning it was (striving to be) a clean
33 system doing generally one thing (graphical client/server) and doing it
34 well.
35 [1]
36 It's not X11 devs' fault that GPUs and all that multidisplay/ multimedia
37 stuff don't work well with client/server arch because they were designed
38 for some other, you know which, OS. I assume if the GPU vendors had
39 their specs opened "20 years" ago, some wayland-like stuff would have
40 been ready near that time.
41
42 > Is it like perl? Support every possible way to do something if it
43 > remotely makes sense to do it, no matter how bizarre the syntax?
44
45 Perl (I suppose you know what it stands for) is great (probably the
46 greatest) for what it was invented for: text manipulation/analysis. It
47 could have been a good replacement for many things like awk, sed, tr
48 etc. if the author were less ambitious to conquer the world with Perl.
49
50 > Is it like python? Pick ONE way to do it and stick with it dammit!
51
52 You misquoted. The phrase is: "there should be one—and preferably only
53 one—obvious way to do it", *one* meaning 'at least one', complemented
54 with *should be* and *obvious*.
55
56 > Is it like php? Do whatever you feel like?
57
58 Php was a Unix design? LOL. Php wasn't a design at all. It was just
59 another personal home pages perl script.
60
61 > Is it like command line text processing tools that only do one narrow
62 > thing well? [1]
63
64 Perfectly well.
65
66 > Is it like bash? I can't find a decent description of how bash came to
67 > be except it's like Vogons - wasn't designed and didn't evolve, it just
68 > sort of ... congealed
69
70 Bash or sh? What about ksh, csh, zsh etc? Well, a shell actually does
71 two things: interactive shell and scripting. Let's ponder on how they
72 can be separated?
73
74 > Not to rain on anyone's parade, but there's a prize of 40 internets up
75 > for the first person who can clearly and unambiguously define "Unix
76 > design principles" with specificity so that it is globally applicable.
77
78 A truism: There's nothing globally applicable.
79
80 > Best I can come up with is "Use common sense and build stuff that can be
81 > used and maintained" which is wonderfully descriptive but really sucks
82 > as a definition.
83
84 Something like this, but neither is it globally applicable.
88 > [1] For lack of a better term, let's just call systemd here a "system
89 > controller". What is this ONE thing a system controller should do and do
90 > it well?
91
92 An init daemon generally does one thing well.
95 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X11#Principles
98 Regards,
99 Yuri K. Shatroff