From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CTRL-C and pre-merge checks
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 13:11:42
1 On Wednesday, 7 April 2021 07:53:09 BST Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 6 April 2021 23:08:17 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Hello list,
4 > >
5 > > I've just started an emerge -e world to run overnight, and I realised I'd
6 > > forgotten to mount /boot (for intel-microcode), so I hit CTRL-C to abort.
7 > > It took several dozen attempts, because pre-merge checks were in
8 > > progress. It seems that this operation doesn't pass the interrupt up the
9 > > calling chain, as other operations do.
10 > >
11 > > Should I report a bug?
12 >
13 > I have noticed the same when I pause a compilation, especially on big
14 > packages with a high number of make jobs. I always took this to mean the
15 > CPU thread pipes were full and until they are processed the pause
16 > instruction has to wait for its turn. Slower PCs take longer time and
17 > since I'm not running an RT kernel for emerge, I never thought of it as a
18 > bug. However, if more learned contributors can explain this as a bug, I'll
19 > be happy to learn something new.
20 > :-)
21
22 That doesn't sound like the same thing. I'm aborting, not suspending. How do
23 you do that, anyway? CTRL-S/Q?
24
25 The problem is that in every atomic process but this one, interrupting it
26 causes the calling function to be aborted in turn, and so on up and out. A bit
27 like popping things off a stack until it's empty. In the case of pre-merge
28 checks, that doesn't happen; the next check is started regardless. That's a
29 lot of key stabs in a large emerge task.
32 Regards,
33 Peter.