From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The Great Macbook Update 3: Qt-4.5.1 to Qt-4.5.3 blocks hell
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:16:09
1 On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:55:23 +0000, bn wrote:
2
3 > ...I would like to update the thing piece-by-piece, to troubleshoot
4 > better whatever happens.
5 Start with a system update, then emerge --oneshot individual,
6 non-QT, packages to reduce the number of packages in the big emerge.
7
8 > > If not, you can either
9 > > unmask portage, emerge portage and try again, or if you don't like
10 > > that approach, you must do it the older, longer way:
11 >
12 > I could do it, if I have some safety option that allows me to downgrade
13 > portage later, in case I find problems. I am quite conservative with
14 > this system (it's a machine I use for day-to-day work) and I wouldn't
15 > like to have it borked.
16
17 Install and run demerge, then quickpkg your existing installed packages.
18 Demerge lets you roll back to any point at which you saved its config.
22 Neil Bothwick
23
24 ... "I dropped my toothpaste," Tom said, Crestfallen.