From: Peter Campion-Bye <peter@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] CONFIG_PROTECT problem
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:41:27
1 Hi,
2 Apologies if I've misunderstood the use of CONFIG_PROTECT, but I think
3 I've found a hole in it. As I have lots of stuff under
4 /var/www/localhost/htdocs which contains configuration files mixed in with
5 the code ( phpmyadmin, phpldapadmin, phpwiki, squirrelmail, gallery etc )
6 I have put the path /var/www/localhost/htdocs into CONFIG_PROTECT in
7 make.conf. When one of these packages is upgraded this seems to work fine.
8 Last night, after upgrading PHP to 4.4.0 my wiki was broken. I thought a
9 good place to start would be to re-emerge phpwiki, so I did. During the
10 emerge it flashed up a message about this being a package that it couldn't
11 upgrade, so it would be unmerged it first. It appears that this bypassed
12 the CONFIG_PROTECT mechanism, as when the new files were installed the
13 original had been removed, so no ._cfg0000_ files were created for the
14 changed files.
15 Having no recent backup (lesson learned!) I had to recreate the phpwiki
16 config, which is a non-trivial job.
17 So the question is, how can config files be protected in this kind of
18 situation (other than backing them up) - is there another mechanism to
19 protect files from being overwritten, and how many packages are likely to
20 do an unmerge before re-emerging, and is there ay way of knowing? I
21 believe the default behaviour on umnerging a package is to leave its
22 configuration files in place, this doesn't seem to apply to the web apps.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list