From: Jeff Cranmer <jcranmer01@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc - C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:41:19
1 > > >
2 > > > Perhaps you should go back to a lower glib version. Latest versions of
3 > > > such important packages might always have issues.
4 > >
5 > > What is the approved way to do this?
6 >
7 > There is no approved way to downgrade glibc. The output message from the
8 > error you posted tells you why the devs will not provide you with a method
9 > to do it. If you *really* want to do it, your could comment out the "if"
10 > statement between lines 159 and 163 of the latest glibc ebuild.
11 >
12 > The only correct way I know of is to perform a reinstall. It'll probable be
13 > quicker, easier and far less painful than trying to recover from ripping
14 > the foundation out from under your OS...
17 > However, did you notice that the parent poster mentioned glib and you have
18 > attempted to downgrade glibc?
22 The issue that I have is that glibc is broken, probably due to my profile
23 having at some point switched from a 64 bit profile back to i386.
24
25 After discovering this, I tried to fix this by switching the profile back, and
26 that's when my problems began. glibc appears to be broken, and causes errors
27 when trying to compile (specifically, lib cpp fails the sanity check).
28 Reinstalling glibc from a binary was recommended as a way to fix this, but I
29 don't have access to a binary of the same or more recent vintage as the one
30 already installed on my system. Trying to install an older version that I
31 could find caused the glibc error.
32
33 emerge -eav system causes the same errors, as glibc appears to require glibc
34 to compile, and since it's not working, I have a circular dependency that I
35 can't resolve.
36
37 If its OK to do so, and has a chance of working, I could install an older
38 version of glib. All I need to know is how to do this.
39
40 Any pointers gratefully received. I'd really rather not have to rip out
41 everything and re-install the OS (several days of work), as it's basically
42 working right now - just won't upgrade at the moment.
43
44 Thanks
45
46 Jeff