From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] preventing keyboard layout files from being overritten during system upgrades
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 12:55:17
1 On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 >> On Fri, 4 December 2015, at 12:10 p.m., Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Friday 04 December 2015 13:55:30 gevisz wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> So, my main question is How can I ensure that the already
8 >>> edited /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ru file will not be overwritten
9 >>> during the next system update.
10 >>
11 >> Add it to CONFIG_PROTECT in make.conf.
12 >
13 > Surely it should go in somewhere like /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ instead.
14 >
15 > Making the original /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ directory read-only prevents updates and bug fixes being applied.
18 Nobody suggested making the directory read-only. They suggested
19 adding it to CONFIG_PROTECT in make.conf, which treats the directory
20 the same as /etc with the need to merge changes. That is probably the
21 simplest solution here, as others would require ebuild changes,
22 patching, or getting upstream to allow the file to be overridden in
23 /etc (assuming this is not already possible).
26 Rich