From: Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [solved] Re: [gentoo-user] Skype
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:38:03
1 Thank you,
2
3 On 11/27/2017 10:02 AM, R0b0t1 wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > On Monday, November 27, 2017, Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku
7 > <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com
8 > <mailto:jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>> wrote:
9 >
10 >> I know, that when I was trying to figure out just "what was supported" I
11 >> actually wasn't getting good information...
12 >
13 > If it is keyworded it is "supported" unless you are using very niche
14 > software. This does not mean anyone will be able to help you fix things
15 > quickly.
16
17 I think that I wasn't really clear as to where I was looking, and what I
18 meant by supported. I know that it runs, and that it works as expected
19 in terms of Gentoo. What I was looking at was the Microsoft page, and
20 what I saw there wasn't entirely clear.
21
22 Looking again, I see they say "5.* is at end of life, and is being
23 decommissioned as of now". This is all that is in the main gentoo
24 repository. So, while it runs fine, it doesn't actually do what people
25 would be installing it for (there are overlays which provide newer, and
26 at least most recent major version, versions).
27
28 > Unstable packages typically run well. I routinely fix issues by using
29 > unstable or even unkeyworded packages over the stable versions. Most
30 > issues arise when stable and unstable packages interact, usually due to
31 > breaking interface changes. So, paradoxically, an unstable (or testing)
32 > system can be more stable than a stable system.
33
34 I have few problems with how well it runs. It's just that it fails to
35 connect to the server. It appears often getting stuff like Skype to run
36 we need to install from an overlay, or install manually.
37
38 > If you fix an issue by using an unstable package you can request
39 > stabilization. Sometimes people forget to do it. For a package like
40 > Skype, though, I suspect it will be stabilized as soon as possible.
41
42 I *could* be mistaken, we will need to update the versions available to
43 get it to work. I have a suspicion that it isn't really being
44 maintained. I'm not sure. I am having trouble finding "release
45 history", as I can't see what comes between skypeforlinux 5.* and 8.*,
46 and 8.* *seems* to have been released less than a month ago.
47
48 I agree with what has been said. Microsoft has been very well known to
49 break things for other operating systems, especially for "Microsoft"
50 type stuff (as opposed to stuff that people don't really understand it
51 is Microsoft unless they are very aware).
52
53 Thank you everyone, I *think* this is solved. I haven't installed, or
54 tested yet, but rion overlay is giving me what I need (at least it should).
55
56 Jigme Datse Yli-Rasku