From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:32:00
1 On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:30, Fabian Hackhofer wrote:
2 > Jorge Almeida schrieb:
3 > > I'm about to dump Firefox, because I can't google in English. The thing
4 > > doesn't let me choose the language, and I'm tired of getting useless
5 > > Brazilian links.
6 >
7 > Ever tried to type site:uk or site:us after the search-phrase?
8
9 I suspect that this is a google not FF issue. When I change countries I get
11 http proxy from another country do you still get Brazilian links? (google for
12 public proxies to test this).
13
14 Browser-wise I use Konqueror and Opera. I prefer Opera for speed (despite the
15 fact that I am mostly connecting with ADSL) and for privacy - unlike gecko
16 and Khtml engined browsers Opera does not divulge Referrer headers, unless
17 you set it to do so. I have been using Opera for around 6 years and have
18 found that they continuously develop this browser and it's features, while
19 retaining a smaller footprint than any(?) other browser. They have developed
20 a sometimes buggy mail client which along with a multitude of other clients
21 (news, IM, SMS, etc) is integrated in a non-intrusive manner with the Opera
22 browser. The Opera mail client database principle and its filters was
23 effectively copied by Google after a few years and was implemented as the now
24 well known Gmail. Every now and then I see one of Opera's features or
25 functionality e.g. tabs being copied by other browsers. Opera continue
26 development for many different platforms (I first came across Opera on a
27 Psion 5mx!). Other than the sometimes buggy releases although Opera comes
28 free for Linux, it is *not* open source. That said it has a big community
29 following and great support through forums and ng.
30
31 Konqueror has come in leaps & bounds over the last few years and is now the
32 best stds compliant browser than the all the rest (check acid test 2). Since
33 it integrates nicely with Kmail I tend to use it a lot when I browse links in
34 messages, or when I have already launched other KDE apps and the associated
35 kdeinit and kio-slaves are already running.
36
37 Finally, I use FF when I come across websites that won't render properly in
38 the other two browsers - invariably on stupidly designed internet banking
39 sites which discriminate against anything other than M$IE & Netscape!!!
40
41 HTH.
42 --
43 Regards,