From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No motherboard beep since kernel upgrade
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 03:17:51
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, null_ptr wrote:
4 >On 22/03/14 23:40, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 >>Am 22.03.2014 02:08, schrieb null_ptr:
6 >>>"modprobe pcspkr" doesn't change anything. It is still silent. I also
7 >>>tried
8 >>>building it in the kernel.
9 >>>
10 >>>On the other hand from what I understand the snd_hda_intel should be
11 >>>doing the beeps when the mainboard does not have a physical speaker on
12 >>>the mainboard and instead beeps through the regular sound device. At
13 >>>least on 3.10.25 I had not build the pcspkr module and the system beeped
14 >>>happily.
15 >>
16 >>Now, are we talking about the motherboard beeping through a little
17 >>builtin speaker that does not work
18 >>or
19 >>Are we talking about your onboard sound not beeping in your
20 >>headphones/your attached speakers when there is a motherboard 'beep'?
21 [..]
22 >I'm talking about the onboard sound not beeping in the attached
23 >headphones/speakers when there is a motherboard 'beep'. The problem is
24 >that I used that for some events as a status (e.g. battery running low)
25 >and I like the annoying nature of the beep for these events.
26
27 Wait. What now? You have (at least) two sound-devices that can beep:
28
29 a) the beeper on your motherboard
30
31 in this case, use what I wrote, i.e.
32 pcsp=enable=1
33 in your kernel commandline and make sure
34 modprobe pcspkr
35 works. The module is not needed in the initrd.
36
37 b) the onboard-sound-chip via attached speakers/headphones
38
39 in this case, disable the mobo-beeper (might be default)
40 blacklist pcspkr
41 explicitly, possibly along with with the kernel-parameter
42 pcsp=enable=0
43 and your normal alsa-driver should take over the task of "beeping"
44 (snd-pcsp is a different beast).
45 If it does not, your alsa-driver might be buggy as it should take
46 over the beeping.
47
48 HTH,
49 -dnh, I wanted case a), beeping completely independent from any other
50 audio stuff. And with the program 'beep'
51 (http://www.johnath.com/beep) and/or the snd-pcsp driver, you can
52 use the beeper to do more than the standard beep.
55 There is a green, multi-legged creature crawling on your shoulder.