From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Tux AWOL
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 06:35:45
1 On 05/18/2017 05:06 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 05/17/2017 03:35 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
3 >>
4 >> It also enables me to finally use UEFI and suspend to RAM again
5 >> with NVIDIA proprietary without a dead framebuffer after resume. ;-)
6 >
7 > I have had this problem for years and thought it was a bad card.
8 > Replaced it recently, still have the problem.
9
10 This is usually due to CSM being enabled in the mainboard's settings. If
11 you use UEFI with the EFI console kernel driver, but you still get this
12 in dmesg:
13
14 NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
15 NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
16 NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
17 NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
18 NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
19
20 then CSM is the reason. One of the issues is restoring the framebuffer
21 after resuming.
22
23 CSM is the "Compatibility Support Module" of UEFI. When enabled, the
24 graphics card is being initialized by CSM, not by UEFI, and the nvidia
25 driver doesn't fully support this.
26
27 Some mainboards allow you to disable CSM. Unfortunately, not all do.