From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/init.d/: ntpd or ntp-client?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:21:37
1 On 4 Feb 2009, at 14:11, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 13:38:11 +0000, Stroller wrote:
3 >
4 >> So when I found the clock to be a week out of date I checked that
5 >> ntpd
6 >> appeared to be running (it was) and restarted it. The date remained
7 >> the same. Stopping ntpd & starting ntp-client corrected the date
8 >> immediately.
9 >
10 > ntpd will not change the time if the difference is too large, the man
11 > page gives the limit. You need to run both at boot; ntp-client sets
12 > the
13 > time immediately, no matter what the skew, then ntpd keeps the clock
14 > in
15 > time.
16
17 I see. Many thanks.
18
19 I am surprised my clock got so far out of whack, having been only
20 switched off a few days. I don't think the battery is completely dead.
21 The difference in behaviour seems unexpected, but surely makes sense
22 from the developers' point-of-view.
23
24 I will set both in the default runlevel & keep an eye on things.
25
26 Stroller.