From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is dbus-0.60 conflicting with totem?
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 08:22:03
1 Alexander Skwar schreef:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I tried to update world and failed:
5 >
6 > Calculating world dependencies ..... ..... .^H^H ...done!
7 > [blocks B ] >=sys-apps/dbus-0.60 (is blocking media-video/totem-1.2.0-r2)
8 >
9 > That is because of the following new line in totem-1.2.0-r2.ebuild:
10 >
11 > nsplugin? (
12 > >=net-libs/gecko-sdk-1.7
13 > >=sys-apps/dbus-0.35
14 > !>=sys-apps/dbus-0.60 )"
15 >
16 > So when nsplugin USE flag is set, dbus-0.60 cannot be installed.
17 >
18 > In the changelog at http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/media-video/totem/ChangeLog
19 > I find:
20 >
21 > Adding dbus 0.60 mask as Cardoe is unmasking
22 >
23 > Aha. Who or what is that Cardoe thing? And why is that line
24 > added?
25
26 Cardoe is a person; a dev in fact.
27
28 Presumably the totem web plugin (which would allow you to play
29 streaming video in your web browser using the Totem backend) is only
30 compatible with dbus-0.35, not 0.60.
31
32 I don't really know more than that, as 1) I found Totem far too unstable
33 to use generally, so uninstalled it; 2) I use mplayerplug-in to display
34 video in my browser(s), since if I found Totem unstable for regular use,
35 I certainly wasn't going to attempt to use the web plugin, which could
36 be expected to be even worse than Totem itself is.
37
38 I would suggest disabling the nsplugin USE flag for Totem and using a
39 different plugin-- xine has a plugin, mplayer has a plugin, I think
40 realplayer has one, Quicktime can be installed with Wine, and there are
41 a couple of standalone options, like plugger. I myself wouldn't want to
42 use such an older version of Dbus just for Totem's stupid plugin (when
43 there are so many others that most likely work better), but that's just
44 my opinion.
45
46 HTH,
47 Holly