From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking for a pre-compiled Linux distribution
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 02:34:26
1 On 2017.11.23 20:47, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 24/11/17 00:01, Wols Lists wrote:
3 >> On 23/11/17 18:45, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 23/11/17 19:11, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> I'd like to recommend a Linux distribution to someone who needs an
7 >>>> as
8 >>>> simple Linux distribution as possible.
9 >>>> Since I am going to help that person from time to time, it should
10 >>>> be
11 >>>> as similar as possible to Gentoo.
12 >>>> [...]
13 >>>
14 >>> Arch Linux is similar. Just imagine you have "emerge", except
15 >>> there's
16 >>> only binary packages. When you install it initially, you're left on
17 >>> the
18 >>> command line with nothing installed except base packages, much like
19 >>> Gentoo.
20 >>>
21 >> How close is Slackware to that description?
22 >> [...]
23 >
24 > I'd say not close at all. Slackware uses pretty outdated software and
25 > is not rolling release.
26 >
27 > Arch Linux on the other hand, like Gentoo, does not have releases.
28 > You install it once and the upgrades are pretty much identical to
29 > Gentoo.
30 I used to use Arch on one of my PC's but switched to Artix (by way of
31 Manjaro) when Arch stopped supporting openrc. If you are OK with
32 systemd, the Arch is good. If you want openrc, then Artix is probably
33 one of the few choices remaining. It still seems fairly young - I had
34 some issues with the initial install (or conversion from Manjaro) but
35 if you can figure out emerge issues, you can figure out pacman (their
36 package manager) issues, and there is a much better choice of graphic
37 package managers, which might be good for the person who will primarily
38 be using the system.
39
40 One other choice to consider is Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Something
41 different from the others, but pretty easy to use. The OP hasen't said
42 if he has a definite preference for DE. While Arch and Artix probably
43 both support Cinnamon (I have not explicitly checked), Mint does NOT
44 provide KDE any longer (a relatively recent change.)
45
46 Jack