From: "Sebastian Günther" <samson@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to veiw absolute latest on partage without syncing
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 16:46:02
1 * Harry Putnam (reader@×××××××.com) [12.06.09 18:15]:
2 >
3 > I can sync fine... just didn't want to do an update world just now as
4 > my sources are quite new, but still didn't want to get sources too far
5 > ahead of installed packages.
8 I think, you did not understand, what a sync does. It updates mostly
9 ebuilds and not ever any source package.
10
11 And ebuilds are just recipes to build software from sources, so this has
12 no impact on the software installed, as long as you don't want to
13 rebuild a specific version, which is no longer in the tree. But even for
14 this case there is the attic.
15
16 Gentoo's normal behaviour is frequent change. May you should consider
17 the buildpkg option or quickpkg to have binary packages for all your
18 installed software at hand, for quick recovery.
19
20 But syncing the portage tree at least weekly, most likely daily, is that
21 what most Gentoo users do. So there is absolute no problem, especially
22 if you are using the stable tree...
23
24 Sebastian
27 " Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " | _ ASCII ribbon campaign
28 Karl Marx | ( ) against HTML e-mail
29 SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER | X against M$ attachments
30 mailto:samson@××××××××××××××××.de | / \ www.asciiribbon.org