From: Gregory Shearman <zekeyg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 07:49:37
1 In linux.gentoo.user, James wrote:
2 > Gregory Shearman <zekeyg <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> b) The important reason I need an initramfs is that I have my root
6 >> filesystems on LVM partitions (except for my ARM servers).
7 >
8 > Hello Gregory,
9 >
10 > Please tell me, as much as you are confortable with,
11 > about your ARM servers....
12
13 I'm running 2 servers at the moment. They are very low power and they
14 mainly serve my home network. One is a Marvell Sheevaplug (single core
15 1.2GHZ 512MB memory) and has been running reliably for many years. The
16 other is a Texas Instruments Pandaboard (2 core Cortex A9 Processor -
17 1Gb memory) . I've only had the Panda since October last year and it is
18 also a very reliable server (with added GUI HDMI benefits!).
19
20 > Running Gentoo? Running Embedded Gentoo? Which kernels?
21 > HDD ? File Systems? Configurations, Grub 2? LVM, RAID ?
22
23 Both servers are running Gentoo Stable... therefore current kernels (for
24 their architecture). Both have external HDD attached via USB.
25
26 File systems: root filesystem is on an SDHC card (2nd partition). Other
27 filesystems (except for the boot partition) are all on LVM. I have
28 /usr/src, /usr/portage, /usr/portage/distfiles is a symlink to
29 /var/www/localhost/gentoo/distfiles (another filesystem). I also have
30 /var/tmp/portage on a separate filesystem and I also run a postgresql
31 database server which also has its own partition on
32 /var/lib/postgresql/<version>. Both servers have the same setup as I'm
33 currently in the process of replacing the sheevaplug with the panda.
34
35 Grub? There's no such thing on ARM machines. The kernel or uImage looks
36 for the first partition on the configured root device (SDHC on my
37 systems) the first partition MUST be VFAT (unfortunately) and it
38 contains the u-boot bootloader and the kernel (uImage). Kernels are
39 built the same way as x86 kernels except you do "make uImage" instead of
40 "make bzImage".
41
42 LVM? All the above filesystems, except the root partition and the boot
43 partition are LVM volumes. Filesystems are mostly Ext4 (very
44 conventional).
45
46 RAID? Nope.
47
48 > Typical usage?
49
50 Print server, database server, backups, webserver - which includes serving gentoo
51 portage and distfiles to other machines on the network (THTTPD is a
52 great minimal web server).
53
54 > What install docs did you follow?
55
56 Sheevaplug:
57
58 http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/sheevaplug/install.xml#install
59
60 Pandaboard:
61
62 http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/pandaboard/install.xml
63
64 It's easy.
65
66 > Any suggestions on setting up ARM servers, cluster,
67 > and such are most welcome.
68
69 ARM servers aren't much different to other servers but you must realise
70 that these are low powered devices (the ones I run anyway) and aren't
71 really suited to large loads. They especially suit a small business or
72 home hobbyist environment. Even so, compiling Gentoo, especially on the
73 Panda is not a problem and doesn't take forever (except for gcc
74 updates 8-)).
75
76 I suppose you could cluster a number of these devices but I think it
77 would be more efficient to use a more powerful server running servers as
78 virtual machines.
81 Regards,
82 Gregory.