From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is Gentoo for me?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 17:01:40
1 On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:03:47 -0600
2 John <irgunii@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > Hi folks,
6 >
7 > I've been using linux for about 12 years now, but only used DE's.
8 > I've got ADD in the extreme and have poor memory retention so trying
9 > to learn things 'UNIX' (command line and such) is just too difficult
10 > for me. I can do some command line stuff but nothing more than
11 > getting time from someplace to make my clock be correct, heh.
12
13 Gentoo is relatively high-maintainance, and you'll find yourself
14 typing at a command line quite a bit. But Gentoo's documentation is
15 very good, so if you forget what you need to do, you can just look it
16 up again. Or ask here -- very good answers are usually quick to come.
17
18 > I'm dirt-poor and have only a dial-up connection. The Portage
19 > package management seems extremely nice, but will it be a problem for
20 > me to upgrade say just one package/app at a time? Will I be able to
21 > find a tarball of an app I want to try out and be able to build it
22 > like I would with rpmbuild (will it be as relatively easy as that)?
23 > Is there a 'repository' of apps anywhere that I can go to to look and
24 > see if the app I normally use for something is there?
25
26 I've run Gentoo on a machine with dial-up. I wouldn't do it again.
27 Gentoo's rolling release system means IMHO the only sane way to
28 maintain it is to keep it up to date, which means a lot of downloading.
29
30 It's possible to have portage generate a list of the files it wants,
31 take that list to another machine, feed it to some download manager,
32 then take the files back to the Gentoo machine.
33
34 > There's probably more questions, but I best keep this short for
35 > now, lol. Thanks for any replies and help with these things and I
36 > hope I made enough sense for everyone to understand what I'm trying
37 > to get at.
38
39 I think you were plenty clear, and I wish you luck. :)