From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sanba mount on host machine
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:05:00
1 On 11/6/06, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> writes:
3 >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 13:47:12 -0600 reader@×××××××.com wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> Is this possible withou really negative impact of some sort.
9 >
10 > > If this is a question (please clarify a bit, and use question marks
11 > > when appropriate!): Of course it has a negative impact -- opposed to
12 > > built-in storage, which should be faster than network based storage :-)
13 >
14 > I guess it was phrased awkwardly, but did you not see the rest of the
15 > post? <==
16 >
17 > (Posted here again for clarity)
18 >
19 > Install as many HDD as mobo allows maybe adding a few more with pci
20 > controllsers. (all sata if possible)
21 >
22 > Install Gentoo as host OS on a smallish partition or drive. Mount
23 > all remaining drives as CIFS mounts accessable from samba or smb
24 > from host or windowsXP clients. All this over gigabit ethernet.
25 >
26 > > But if you have Windows clients, that's almost the only option you
27 > > have. Well, you could go with WebDAV, but I wouldn't recommend that,
28 > > it's most probably not nearly as stable as Samba.
29 >
30 > > Even for Linux/Unix clients (given they have proper CIFS/SMB support)
31 > > Samba is a capable option for a networked file system.
32 >
33 > Rephrasing the question: Will it work to mount a hosts (gentoo host)
34 > native onboard drives as cifs mounts only. These drives would all be
35 > formatted NTFS
36
37 In short - no.
38
39 Samba/CIFS are *network* filesystems - you can't "format a partition
40 with a Samba or CIFS filesystem", and you can't mount a local drive as
41 Samba or CIFS - it is not a physical filesystem, but a protocol to
42 access a share *over a network*.
43
44 All you need to do is format these drives with the filesystem of your
45 choice (I personally like ReiserFS, I've heard some people say that
46 XFS is better/faster for really big files, or, if you don't want/need
47 journaling, maybe just ext2?), then setup Samba to share those drives
48 over the network to the other computers that need to access them. The
49 magic of Samba/CIFS is that the other computer have absolutely *No
50 Clue* what the *underlying* filesystem on the physical drive is - they
51 don't care, and they don't need to care, as the Samba server on the
52 Gentoo side takes care of all of that. The filesystem on the client
53 side (the Windows box - NTFS) won't make any difference whatsoever
54 when transferring files to the Samba share, as Samba is Samba is Samba
55 - no matter the underlying physical filesystem that the Samba share is
56 "from".
57
58 HTH-
59
60 James
64 > (unless someone can tell me there is a linux format that
65 > will be as fast when dealing with huge video files. And will not
66 > introduce some problem when trnaferring between NTFS on a client and
67 > whatever format on the gentoo box)
68 >
69 > I don't want to dink around with mounting as NTFS because of poor or
70 > non existent or illegal linux support for NTFS.
71 >
72 > The gentoo host would have its own partition or drive and would serve
73 > as a NAS for the other NTFS drives.
74 >
75 > So once again the question is can gentoo have its native drives (not
76 > the OS drive) formatted as NTFS and mounted only as cifs mounts on the
77 > same machine?
78 >
79 > > OTOH, there's Windows SFU, which you can use to mount NFS shares, but I
80 > > heard it's a pain in the *** to set it up.
81 >
82 > You heard right. I've done it but it took a while and far as I know
83 > there is some inherent bottleneck with NFS moving huge files anyway.
84 > (That is hearsay since I did not try it when I had that setup. I
85 > didn't have the need to move huge files then)
86 >
87 > --
88 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
92 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list