From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT - Weird Permissions error
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:18:29
1 Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I'm having a strange problem. I set up a DNS server for my domain
3 > today, and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. I consulted the
4 > log files and found this:
5 >
6 > Dec 12 15:51:39 bullet named[7709]: couldn't open pid file
7 > '/var/run/named.pid': Permission denied
8 > Dec 12 15:51:39 bullet named[7709]: exiting (due to early fatal error)
9
10 < big ol snip >
11
12 The startup script drops its privileges to user named. I'm guessing it
13 does that before it writes the pid file. To fix you'll want to add this
14 line to your named.conf file in the options area.
15
16 pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";
17
18 I may have also editted the /etc/init.d/named file to point to that file
19 as well. This might not need to be done depending on which Bind ebuild
20 you used.
21
22 For these and other ways to fix the somewhat retarded default Bind
23 install, like the named/bind naming nonsene, you might want to check the
24 wiki article.
25
26 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND
27