From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going ~x86?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:32:52
1 Hi there!
2
3 It's done! I'm at ~x86 now. The upgrade went quite smooth - had to resolve
4 some blockers, and mask the new x.org 1.7 because it does not work at all
5 with ati-drivers.
6
7 **BUT:** After rebooting, I ran into a very nasty KDE4 bug. All
8 authentication dialogs did not work. So I had no KDE wallet, no kmail, no
9 kopete, no webmail... now this was annoying! Must be some strange side
10 effect, I do not think anything of KDE itself had been updated.
11
12 I spent quite some time trying to solve this. Without an existing ~/.kde4
13 directory, it worked, but all of my .kde4 backups (I have lots, I make one
14 whenever I save the session, because this does not work sometimes) had the
15 problem. So I searched for the file in ~/.kde4 that was responsible for
16 it, and finally I found .kde4/share/config/kdeglobals. And, more
17 prrecisely, this setting:
18
19 [Passwords]
20 EchoMode=ThreeStars
21
22 I commented this out, and all is working again. Yes, I will file a bug
23 report upstream.
24
25 This kind of bug is what made me not switch to KDE for a long time. The
26 possibility of suddenly having a little problem which makes the whole KDE
27 thing unusable until solved.
28
29 Wonko