From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] startup woes with sshd, rsyncd, nfs, portmap
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:42:43
1 On 6/7/07, Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 15:55:45 -0400
6 > "John Blinka" <john.blinka@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > > sshd doesn't start
9 > > nfs doesn't start
10 > > rsyncd doesn't start
11 >
12 > Are those being started (i.e. tried to) at boot? Is it just "fail" then
13 > for you? There should at least be a bit of debug info in the output at
14 > startup... You might also try the interactive boot up (hit "I") and see
15 > what happens.
18 I used interactive bootup as you suggested, and discovered that
19 the system is not even attempting to start them, even though
20 rc-update thinks they're supposed to be started at the "default"
21 runlevel. I can start them by hand without any errors, so the lack
22 of messages in the logs isn't surprising.
25 You _did_ run etc-update (or its siblings) in order to
26 > get the new files in /etc/init.d/ activated? You're sure you have the
27 > new versions of those files installed?
30 Yes, I ran etc-update, and revdep-rebuild. I do have the latest versions
31 of the /etc/init.d files.
32
33 Since all of those daemons depend on network: Are there network
34 > settings for interfaces that fail on boot up?
37 Network works fine.
38
39 John