From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] espn(wmp) on firefox?
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:07:31
1 On Sunday 22 October 2006 23:14, James wrote:
2
3 > I wanted to watch a football game over the internet using
4 > espn. It requires Windows Media Player. Will any of the
5 > Gentoo browsers support this format and if so, which ones
6 > and which plugins work best?
7 >
8 > Has anyone watched ESPN in a web browser on Gentoo, and if
9 > so any caveats or gotchas?
10
11 Last time I tried it didn't work with gxine, or xine. As far as I can recall
12 the reason was that this website is using active-x scripting to establish a
13 SSL connection and the Linux apps/plugins do not (yet) have a way of parsing
14 that. Otherwise, either xine or mplayer will happily play wmp streams. It
15 may be more complicated than what I am alluding to above, but that's as far
16 as my understanding could take me. ;-)
17
18 You could always write to the website master/admin and ask them to provide you
19 with a link that works without active-x, but they are such an exclusive
20 M$haft shop I'd wager you get a "we do not support anything else than Billy
21 Gate's shareholders . . ." type of response.
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick