From: Nistor Andrei <coder.tux@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] convert rpm to ebuild
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:30:42
1 On Friday 11 May 2007, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 May 2007 12:43:50 +0300, Nistor Andrei wrote:
3 > > Just a thought... I think you could use alien to convert the rpm to a
4 > > tar.gz,
5 >
6 > Use rpm2tgxz to do that.
7 >
8 > > then use "emerge /path/to/whatever.tar.gz". (IIRC that's a way
9 > > you can install a binary package...). That should make portage aware of
10 > > the package being installed, but I think that you must install the deps
11 > > by hand...
12 >
13 > That won't work, emerge can only work with ebuilds or portage binary
14 > packages. You can either write your own ebuild to install the binary,
15 > which is pretty straightforward, or simply unpack it to /.
16 >
17 Portage binary packages aren't actually .tar.gz archives?
18 > As these are private, company packages, nothing else in the tree is going
19 > to depend on it, so you don't really need to install it via portage,
20 > although it does make tracking the package's dependencies easier.
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list