From: Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: udev (probably)
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:21:45
1 On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 15:05 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
2 > I've been working all day rearranging furniture in my apartment. I got
3 > the my computer to its new spot and hooked everything up and booted and
4 > I saw a message that said something about some kernel option that was
5 > turned on that shouldn't be, and that udev might not work. When I got
6 > logged in, I found that Mythtv was all screwed up and that it said I
7 > didn't have any programs set to record. LiveTV didn't work at all. My
8 > tv card (dev/video0); ls says it's there, but cat says it's not. When I
9 > used /etc/init.d/udev I got a message saying that the udev initscript
10 > only works with baselayout 2 and that I shouldn't use it with baselayout
11 > 1. I didn't even know I was using baselayout 1! Anyway, is there a
12 > way, after I've booted the computer, to access those messages shown at
13 > startup?
14
15 I found it in /var/log/messages. It said:
16
17 Nov 23 15:37:07 camille kernel: udev: missing sysfs features; please
18 update the kernel or disable the kernel's CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED
19 option; udev may fail to work correctly
20 Nov 23 15:00:01 camille sudo: michael : TTY=pts/4 ; PWD=/home/michael ;
21 USER=root ; COMMAND=/etc/init.d/udev restart
22
23 I'm rebuilding the kernel with that option disabled, but in the meantime
24 why did Mythtv forget my programs set to record? I checked that mysql
25 is running, and it is, I checked mythbacked. The only discrepancy I can
26 find is the existence of /dev/video0...