From: Dave Jones <Dave.Jones@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE and OpenOffice keyboard problems
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:33:06
1 I'm running a compiled from source Open Office 2.01-r1 and am having
2 problems getting OOo to accept input of accented, single and double
3 quote characters under KDE 3.4.3.
4
5 If I use IceWM, typing these characters works fine in OOo.
6
7 I have CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" and
8 LINGUAS="en en_GB" in my /etc/make.conf Nothing startling there.
9
10 I'm running xorg-X11 version 6.8.2-r6, KDE version 3.4.3, Open Office
11 2.01-r1, all packages from the stable branch.
12
13 In my /etc/xorg.conf I have the following entries for my keyboard:
14
15 Section "InputDevice"
16 Identifier "Keyboard0"
17 Driver "kbd"
18 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
19 Option "XkbModel" "logicdp"
20 Option "XkbLayout" "us_intl"
21 EndSection
22
23 Being an old-fashioned Brit I have set up OOo to default to British
24 English. However, as I live in Europe, I use a Logitech Cordless Desktop
25 Pro US International keyboard, set to US International under KDE 3.4.3.
26
27 I do not use UTF-8 for character encoding, but default to ISO-8859-15,
28 to allow me to use the 'special' accented characters and the Euro sign.
29
30 OOo does not recognise either single quote (') or double quote (")
31 unless I press the AltGr key (right Alt key). I cannot compose accented
32 characters such as áàéèíìóòöuúù. The ¤ sign works as expected with a
33 US-international keyboard, using AltGr 5.
34
35 I tried setting OOo to US English, but this did not resolve the problem.
36 OOo stubbornly ignores both single and double quotes unless the AltGr
37 key is pressed.
38
39 Normally in 'US International' mode, both single and double quotes are
40 produced using the quote key and a space. Applications such as Mozilla
41 Thunderbird handle these quote characters correctly using the above
42 keyboard set up. Only OOo ignores these keystrokes combinations.
43
44 To persuade OOo to enter single or double quotes I have to use the
45 Alt-Gr key and ' or ". Strange indeed, OOo is the only application
46 which behaves like this under KDE.
47
48 Setting the xorg.conf Option "XkbVariant" "deadkeys" as suggested in
49 the OOo documentation does not change the quote keys behaviour in OOo.
50
51 I'm totally bewildered as to why OOo behaves so strangely under KDE,
52 while working perfectly under (for example) IceWM.
53
54 Has anyone else encountered this problem, or better still, have a work
55 round or solution for it?
56
57 Cheers, Dave.
58 --