From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev with separate /usr and no initramfs
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:20:38
1 Hi,
2
3 Following the debates over the summer, about plans to require an initramfs
4 for udev, I put together a slightly different approach using the dependency
5 tracking in openrc. It's outlined (in Unsupported Software) at:
6 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6866484.html
7 and consists of a couple of simple patches to the initscripts for udev and
8 udev-mount, supporting a new initramfs option (defaults to "yes") in
9 udev.conf. I've been using it on my desktop at home for a couple of months
10 now and it works like a charm here. As ever, YMMV.
11
12 As I state in the post:
13 This is only for people who know they have all the modules built-in the
14 kernel to mount local filesystems, have a separate /usr and/or /var, and are
15 happy with their current setups, apart from possible future issues with udev
16 starting before localmount, and find the requirement for an initramfs
17 sufficiently annoying to tweak their setups, *and* are willing to deal with
18 keeping the lines in the initscripts during etc-updates.
19
20 This is on stable udev (164-r2.) I'm not running unstable, so be careful if
21 you are, and let us know if there are any changes needed. You can get in
22 touch on IRC, or via the forum post.
23
24 HTH,
25 igli.
26 --
27 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)