From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot hangs after install, no error
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:05:51
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> I don't use genkernel anymore. I just roll my own. That way, I know
6 >> what is in there and what is not. Then if something doesn't work, I
7 >> know if it is the kernel or something else. With genkernel, you won't
8 >> have a clue what it is since you don't know much if anything about the
9 >> kernel and how it is configured.
10 >>
11 > That's not necessarily true. When I create a new kernel, I copy
12 > /usr/src/linux/.config into the new kernel directory, make oldconfig and
13 > menuconfig just as I like my kernel to be, and recreate the linux symlink
14 > to the new kernel directory. Then I do a genkernel --install --lvm --luks
15 > all&& emerge -a @module-rebuild, and am done.
16 > I never noticed genkernel changing anything in my configuration, .config,
17 > /proc/config.gz and the stuff in /etc/kernels/ are identical. Until not
18 > long ago, I did not even know that genkernel was intended to create a
19 > working kernel from scratch.
20 >
21 > Wonko
25 I always do mine this way. I copy the .config from the old kernel to
26 the new kernel, run make oldconfig then afterwards make all && make
27 modules_install and then copy the kernel to /boot with my own numbering
28 system. That way I know which version and series the kernel is. After
29 that, edit grub with the new kernel and I'm done. I have only had that
30 fail once in the past six years or so and the kernel made some serious
31 changes and I had to start from scratch that one time. They moved
32 things around and oldconfig couldn't reorganize things on the new kernel.
33
34 Point being, genkernal causes issues for people and they don't know how
35 to fix it because they expect genkernel to do everything. Problem with
36 that is that usually when someone has a kernel problem, they use
37 genkernel. If they do their own, it just works. Now someone new to
38 building a kernel may need some help but apparently genkernel needs some
39 help anyway. May as well learn how to roll your own. This is Gentoo
40 after all.
41
42 Dale
43