From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't paste from selection in gtk-3 apps
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 14:44:56
1 On 2015-09-18, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 >> There's a few reasons you might want more than one screen. Primary one
4 >> is two heads and two video cards with different resolutions and dpi.
5 >> Xinerama and big desktop et al will use the lower setting for both.
6 >
7 > Actually, this desktop has xinerama enabled in USE-flags. IOW, I'm
8 > assuming I am using Xinerama on here. I can change the resolution of
9 > either screen and it all still works. (apart from the weird look of
10 > windows on the other screen)
11
12 But can you set DPI independenty for the two monitors? I'm guessing
13 not, since you mention the "weird look of windows" -- that's probably
14 due to use of the wrong DPI on one of the monitors. With multiple
15 screens, you _can_ set DPI correctly for two different monitors.
16
17 >> Some folk have 2 screens just because they've always done it that way
18 >> for years and don't want to change
19 >>
20 >> These days the usual case is one video card with more than one output
21 >> so you connect identical monitors to each. For that, one big desktop
22 >> makes sense.
23 >
24 > Same with laptops, all laptops I've used in the past 5 years all had
25 > the option to add a 2nd display and use that. Even with differing
26 > resolutions, it works the same way. Plug it in, change the setting if
27 > necessary (kdesettings does a good job with that) and I have 2
28 > screens where i can move windows back and forth. It's great for
29 > presentations. Can open a text-file with the passwords on the laptop
30 > screen and copy/paste them from there onto the big screen everyone
31 > else sees.
32
33 Except for the "moving windows back and forth" it works the same with
34 dual screens except you can properly set DPI for both of them.
35
36 There is one other disadvantage of having multiple screens that I
37 forgot to mention. Apart from the gtk-3 selection brokenness, there
38 are some buggy X apps which just plain refuse to run on multiple
39 screens simultaneously (Firefix is one). They were apparently written
40 by MS-Windows programmers based on the assumption that a computer is
41 always used by exactly one person to run exactly one program on
42 exactly on screen. Most other X apps are properly written and support
43 multiple screens just fine.
46 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Spreading peanut
47 at butter reminds me of
48 gmail.com opera!! I wonder why?