From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 23:02:31
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 03 February 2010 20:07:33 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 18:09:08 -0600, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> In my opinion, the old portage was good, the new one is even better.
9 >>>> Now if the next version will prevent a person from borking their
10 >>>> system, that would be heaven. lol You know, unmerge python and see
11 >>>> what happens. Yes, you can still unmerge python, even the only version
12 >>>> you have left, and portage not say a darn thing. It kills the heck out
13 >>>> of portage tho.
14 >>>>
15 >>> Portage gives you a big red warning if you try to do this, but it
16 >>> doesn't, and shouldn't, try to stop you. What if you really want to
17 >>> remove Python? Postage is not the only package manager, so python is not
18 >>> compulsory.
19 >>>
20 >> It doesn't here. Someone else did the same thing a few weeks ago with
21 >> no warning or didn't mention seeing one at least. I've read where
22 >> others have done this too.
23 >>
24 >> It just seems to me that portage should keep it so it can work. It
25 >> needs python to do that. Since portage is the package manager for
26 >> Gentoo, portage is the one that should be protected.
30 > Portage is not the package manager for Gentoo. It is *A* package manager for
31 > Gentoo.
32 >
33 > Trying to assign it some special exalted status will always get you in trouble
34 > when trying to understand why things are the way they are. The only special
35 > thing about portage is that it carries officially supported status.
39 That was my point. Someone else can make a package manager if they want
40 to but portage is the official Gentoo package manager. As far as I
41 know, portage has always been Gentoo's package manager. I been here
42 since 1.4 so while it is possible that I missed it but somewhat doubtful.
43
44 Dale
45