From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] macbook pro boot from usb
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 06:28:43
1 On 24 August 2011, at 23:33, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have never used a MacBook, and haven't used any Mac since they had
4 > black & white screens, but I believe the problem is that its firmware
5 > uses EFI for booting, and not the usual BIOS/MBR boot like a normal PC
6 > would use. and your system rescue CD probably doesn't have the
7 > necessary files.
8
9 Yes, I suspect OP needs to run the Boot Camp Assistant (in Applications > Utilities).
10
11 I think that does something like enable a BIOS compatibility mode in EFI - after installation I have certainly been able to boot from conventional bootable CDs. It talks about inserting a Windows CD, but I don't think there's any difference in the booting methods of a Windows XP install CD and a systemrescueCD. I believe both emulate a floppy in the first 2meg of the CD image. I'm pretty sure I've been able to boot using systemrescueCD on a dual-boot (XP / OS X) Mac system.
12
13 > If you google "macbook efi linux usb boot" or
14 > something, maybe there will be more specific info about how to solve
15 > it.
16
17 You're fundamentally right, although I would go for "install linux Mac" myself. The results may refer to installing other distros, such as Ubuntu, but it's surely just a matter of adapting the instructions to get partitions and a systemrescueCD root prompt.
18
19 I think there are alternative methods, besides Boot Camp, to get multi-boot. Boot Camp sets up a second partition, but I don't believe it can do a third. I believe it's possible to get triple-boot (for example) on a Mac, but you're obliged not to use Boot Camp in this case.
20
21 Stroller.