From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:50:29
1 On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 08:17:23 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 4:06 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
5 > wrote:
6 >
7 > > On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:11:37 -0400, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > > I have one of those. But I decided to stick with traditional DOS
10 > > > > partitioning style and grub instead of GPT and grub2.
11 > > >
12 > > > I am leaning toward traditional partitioning, but with grub2. Do
13 > > > those two not mix well?
14 > >
15 > > GRUB2 works fine with MBR partition tables. But if you're starting
16 > > from scratch, you may as well use GPT and get rid of the legacy MBR
17 > > limitations and fragility.
20 > I'm not dissing GPT...but what's fragile about MBR?
21
22 it's 30 years old,
23 only 4 primary partitions,
24 only 16 extended partitions,
25 it's got that weird DOS boot flag thing,
26 it all has to fit in one sector.
27
28 I had to fix a mispartitioned disk over the weekend, this really should
29 have been a simple mv-type operation, but because all 4 primary
30 partitions were in use I had to disable swap and use it as a leap-frog
31 area. It felt like I was playing 15 pieces with the disk. That's
32 fragile - not that the disk breaks, but that it breaks my ability to
33 set the thing up easily.
34
35 Basically, mbr was built to cater for the needs of DOS-3. In the
36 meantime, 1982 called and they want their last 30 years back.
37
38 Just because we can hack workarounds into it to get it to function
39 doesn't mean we should continue to use it.
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com