From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo-User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Tweak nice
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 11:01:24
1 Hi!
2
3 I noticed a very annoying behavior. I've got a headless server (Athlon
4 64 X2) which primarily acts as a personal video recorder using mencoder
5 and at-daemon. In its idle-time it's supposed to run a dnet-client.
6
7 Then I've got a laptop (64bit Celeron, single core) on which I play
8 those video files from my server over NFS.
9
10 So far, so good. My problem is: Neither of them can handle
11 recording/playing video while there is any background activity. That
12 means I have to stop the dnet-daemon and suspend any emerges on my
13 laptop. If I don't, both mencoder and mplayer loose sync of audio and
14 video and drops frames.
15
16 Apparently a nice-setting of 19 is not enough to keep daemons and
17 similar stuff as strict idle activity. It still gets a fair amount of
18 cpu-time.
19
20 Of course, I could give mencoder/mplayer real-time priority (nice -n 20)
21 but that would need them to run in super-user mode which should be
22 unnecessary for such a simple task.
23
24 Long story short, can I somehow tweak the scheduler to be more
25 aggressive when it comes to high nice-levels?
26
27 Thanks in advance!
28
29 Florian Philipp