From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gitlab experiences
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:07:08
1 Ralf <ralf+gentoo <at> ramses-pyramidenbau.de> writes:
4 > On 07/13/16 16:35, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Ralf
6 > > <ralf+gentoo <at> ramses-pyramidenbau.de> wrote:
7 > >> I recommend to deploy gitlab inside a Debian LXC/Docker container as
8 > >> Gitlab guys provide and maintain precompiled .deb packages. You do not
9 > >> want to compile it on your own as it comes with a load of dependencies.
10 > >> And once dependencies change you really might run into trouble with
11 > >> gentoo. Gitlab isn't just a tiny one-click-and-it-runs webservice, it's
12 > >> a whole ecosystem.
13
14 Yep, I heard a bit of bitching about maintaining it. I was contacted by a
15 corp to install and manage gitlab for them. It's not my cup of tea, so folks
16 in that space must be upset with maintenance issues....
17
18 > > This is part of why I'd suggest not upgrading it in-place. Just
19 > > create a new container from scratch every time there is an update.
20 > Sure, I totally agree. But from a maintenance point of view this can
21 > become a full-time job very quickly, as gitlab has pretty short
22 > innovation and release cycles. And you do want to install updates very
23 > quickly, especially for web-apps.
24
25 Interesting idea. It certainly is a good candidate for codes that stress
26 a cluster. I'll keep that in mind.
27
28 > Ralf
29
30 > > OF course, Gentoo makes this somewhat more painful than other distros;
31 > > it tends to be designed around upgrading in-place.
32
33 I did not realize it was so java centric...... I'm out, cause I have more
34 icedtea-java projects than I know what to do with..... (apache-spark).
35
36 Thanks for all the info guys,
37 James