From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Switched from rsync to git, now emerge --sync fails
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 20:11:21
1 On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:50 PM Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Is there some reason it should default
4 > to doing unlimited depth fetch operations?
7 If all you want is a repo, no reason to set the depth higher. If you
8 want to see the history then you'll want it all.
9
10 However, once you have an initial sync, I don't think it should go
11 back and fetch all the history unless you explicitly ask git to do so.
12 I don't see why this would cause issues after the initial sync. If
13 you were fetching all the history, it would be the FIRST sync that
14 caused all the issues. Well, unless portage is going out and trying
15 to pull it all in (and if so I'd think it would have done it from the
16 start).
17
18 Once you have the full repo then subsequent syncs should be very fast
19 and don't use much CPU server-side. The git client sends the remote
20 server its current head, and then the server walks back from its head
21 until it finds yours, which will only be a short distance if you've
22 synced recently. Then it is only the new objects in-between that have
23 to be sent. The whole thing is de-duplicated and copy-on-write just
24 due to its data structure.
25
26 I'm suspecting some sort of server-side issue - maybe an intermittent
27 one. Either that or portage is really trying to pull in that history
28 after the initial sync.
29
30 Another option is to do a pull from the github mirror. That same repo
31 is hosted on both gentoo's server and github, and they're identical
32 (the content hash tells you as much), so you should be able to do a
33 pull from either seamlessly. The signatures/etc are applied to both
34 as well. Some don't care for github not being FOSS but if you're just
35 using it as a mirror I'd argue it is no different than if one of the
36 gazillion distfile mirrors happened to run IIS or have a firmware that
37 wasn't coreboot. It is just another mirror.
40 Rich