From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:25:17
1 On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 11:36 +0000, R C Mitchell wrote:
2
3 [SNIP]
4
5 > I emerged gentoo-sources, and it ran fine for
6 > about five minutes, and then (choosing the moment when I decided all was well
7 > to go and make a pot of tea, the system rebooted itself. I booted up the
8 > disk again and went through the chrooting process. When I went to emerge
9 > gentoo-sources again, emerge looked for the dependencies and then the whole
10 > system froze solid with one of those "this is NOT our fault" kernel panic
11 > messages.
12 >
13 > Not to worry. I can be very patient on occasions. I cold booted the box and
14 > started all over again, deleting the new partitions and going through the
15 > instructions from the beginning incase I'd missed anything. Again I got to
16 > emerging gentoo-sources. Again it ran for about five minutes before the
17 > system rebooted itself. Again I went through the chrooting process and went
18 > to emerge gentoo-sources. Again the system froze. I rebooted and rechrooted
19 > and tried it again. Same result.
20 >
21 > I'm reluctant to believe that this is down to an arbitrary hardware fault,
22 > since everything else works fine. It does seem to have something to do with
23 > emerging gentoo-sources.
24
25 Well, emerging gentoo-sources has to be probably the *easiest* package
26 to emerge. All it pretty does is download the tarball, unpacks it and
27 applies some packages. So I don't think it's a problem with
28 gentoo-sources.
29
30 What you describe does indeed sound like a hardware issue. I remember a
31 long long time ago a similar thing happened to me on a laptop that would
32 not keep cool. When you are compiling a lot of stuff as you would with
33 Gentoo, things can get pretty warm inside, so adequate air flow is
34 important.
35
36 You might wanna shut your computer down for a couple of hours and try
37 again when it's cool.
38
39 It could also be a kernel issue but I doubt it. Usually it's something
40 like overheating or faulty RAM.