From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GCC 5.4.0
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 15:06:51
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 > This is something I have noticed that changed since the gcc upgrade.
5 > One, Firefox seems to use less memory. It's not a whole lot less but it
6 > is less for sure. It also uses a lot less CPU power. Used to if I had
7 > two or three Firefox profiles running, I could see 20, 30 and sometimes
8 > even more CPU usage. Gkrellm would have a good bit of orange and the
9 > little needle thing would be hovering around 30 to 40% on all the cores
10 > with it spiking to well over 50% quite a lot. Closing Firefox would put
11 > it down to single digits so I know it was Firefox causing this. Now,
12 > with 4 instances running, it is hovering around 10 to 15%.
15 Yeah, I monitor GCC changelogs closely...
16
17 A while back they were talking about their new code de-duplication pass
18 and how, as an example, in Firefox it removed over 30,000 duplicate
19 functions...
20
21 I really don't know what's going on over at the mozilla project these
22 days. I still use Seamonkey because it has all my e-mails but its
23 performance is fantastically awful these days.
27 Strange Game.
28 The only winning move is not to play.
29
30 Powers are not rights.