From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless...
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:25:30
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
4 > > On 12/2/2009 9:17 PM, BRM wrote:
5 > > I have wireless working (b43legacy driver for the Dell Wireless Broadcom) through a static configuration in /etc/conf.d/net - basically:
6 > > essid_wlan0="myWLAN"
7 > > key_MYWLAN="somekey"
8 > > config_MYWLAN=( "dhcp" )
9 > > preferred_APS= ( "myWLAN" )
10 > > I would like to use a tool like WPA Supplicant instead so I can have a more dynamic configuration.
11 > > I've tried to setup WPA supplicant but haven't been able to get it to work.
12 > Probably not what you wanted to hear, but I had the exact same problem with the Dell bcm-based adapter in my Inspiron laptop.
13 > It would work fine for open wireless and WEP-secured wireless, but wouldn't associated with a WPA-secured access point.
14 > Eventually I spent about $30 to purchase an iwl3945 replacement from Dell, which worked fine, and never looked back.
15
16 Thanks for the heads up.
17 At this point, I'll be happy if I can just get WEP working using WPA Supplicant/WiCD/etc. instead of a root user centric configuration file.
18
19 Ben