From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Where to find the straight dope conf.d/net?
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 14:06:57
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 11:51:31 +0100, Mick wrote:
4 >
5 >> > Can someone point me to concise documentation about how this new setup
6 >> > is supposed to work?
7 >>
8 >> In /etc/conf.d/net you should replace the previously named eth0
9 >> directives to your new NIC name, e.g. instead of:
10 >>
11 >> config_eth0="dhcp"
12 >>
13 >> you will use the new name:
14 >>
15 >> config_enp0s3="dhcp"
16 >
17 > Or add net.ifnames=0 to your kernel boot options to keep the old naming
18 > style.
19
20 Thanks, good to know, and I saw that while googling too, but kind of
21 figured it would just be postponing the changes
22
23 Still though, doesn't it seem like the 'Quick Installation' document
24 and for that matter, the Handbook... should be edited to reflect this
25 major change... even if it was just adding a url that explains how to
26 work with the new stuff?
27
28 Is there a single document somewhere that explains what this is all
29 about and how to configure for it? Well, yes there is.
30
31 There was a document from eselect news about it...
32
33 During install it was 'eselect news read 4'
34 ,----
35 | 2013-03-29-udev-upgrade
36 | Title Upgrading udev to version >=200
37 | Author Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
38 | Posted 2013-03-29
39 | Revision 2
40 |
41 | [...]
42 `----
43
44 I read it but didn't really get what changes needed to happen.. now
45 looking back at that document it's hard to see how I could fail to
46 understand, as it is pretty insistent about how your system will be
47 fudge if you don't pay attention.
48
49 I guess those old ethX names are so deeply ingrained... blah
50 blah. excuse, excuse ... 4 flat tires, ... hit by comet .. blah
51 abducted... rear end probed...blah, etc etc.