From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Excessive processor usage
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 17:42:31
1 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse <at> web.de> writes:
2
3 > > If you want to check there is no such program on your system, I
4 > > advice you to try chkrootkit, to check there is no such rootkit on
5 > > your system...
6
7 > To put it correctly, since there is _NO_ way to assure that there isn't
8 > a rootkit:
9
10 > chkrootkit can be used to check whether there _are_ _known_ rootkits.
11
12 > BTW, there are other, similar programs that do the same.
13 > But my point is: You can never be sure, since a hypothesis can't be
14 > proven correct, just invalid.
17 Well you are right and you are wrong.
18 You are right for noobs.
19
20 If the person has a second system and sets up a flat hub and the
21 ethernet in stealth mode, you can sniff the ethernet I/O all day
22 long and use a variety of tools to discern if nefarious activities
23 abound on a given system. Sure it's a bit of work, but all hacked
24 systems I've ever seen use the system to ethernet I/O. They can
25 encrypt that traffic, but if you know what should/not be traversing
26 the ethernet, there is no way to hide an actively compromised
27 system.
28
29 If the hacker scantly uses resources, and is elite, often it's the
30 best thing for a noob, because they keep the systems in pristine
31 condition....
32
33 building a gentoo based firewall, that runs off of a non rewritable
34 media (CD and such) is definitely a good idea, if you want to
35 control your resource utilization....
38 ymmv,
39 hth,
40
41 James