From: Xav' <xp@××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix, courier-imap: checks if working
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:31:28
1 On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 18:15:33 +0200, laurent <laurent@××××××××××××.org>
2 wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I'm following this how to:
6 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml
7 >
8 > after configuring courier-imap they say:
9 > Start up your favorite mail client and verify that all connections
10 > you've started work for receiving and sending mail. Of course, you won't
11 > be able to log on to any of the services because authentication hasn't
12 > been configured yet, but it is wise to check if the connections
13 > themselves work or not.
14 >
15 > I'm using mutt, saying there's no mailbox. Creating mailbox is done
16 > later in the how to.
17 > What do they mean, how can I test if smtpd and pop3d work fine ?
18
19 They mean that you have to check with your client that
20 pop3/pop3s/smtp/imap/imaps connection are established with success.
21 You can do this with either telnet or netcat for pop3/smtp/imap protocol
22 and see if the server answer to the connection and with openssl s_client
23 for pop3s/imaps connection.
24
25 HTH.
26 Xavier