From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] thunderbird (~17.0) good idea?
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 23:30:23
1 On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have thunderbird-10.0.11, and it works OK.
5 > It has simple things missing, like the ability
6 > to set what app to handle .ppt files....
9 > Anyone tryied thunderbird (~17.0) ?
10
11 I use it every day, it works for me.
12
13 > commnet? I used testing packages but, not
14 > much tolerance for hacking at the mail reader
15 > I'm dependant upon.....
16
17 Honestly it doesn't change much. Mostly bugfixes and performance
18 improvements. There's not a lot of new innovations in email.
19
20 The main changes since v10 are a new UI, mimicking the new Firefox UI.
21 Otherwise there haven't been any real killer features IMO.
22
23 > But, I'm curious if thunderbird 17 is worth setting
24 > up on another box with dummy mail account to test?
25
26 v10 ESR has been replaced by v17 ESR so I see no reason not to upgrade
27 to v17. There should be no danger in upgrading in-place over your
28 existing data, but I always make a backup before a major version
29 upgrade just in case.
30
31 It's your decision. :)