From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 20:02:58
1 On 12/11/2022 21:13, Wol wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2022 18:22, Dale wrote:
3 >> Where does one go for a list of the LTS kernels?  Since I reboot so
4 >> rarely, what not use one of them??  Of course, the kernel I have in use
5 >> now has long uptimes so it is sort of LTS for this rig anyway.
6 >
7 > Do you REALLY want an LTS kernel? Sounds like you don't. You need to
8 > update them just as much as any other kernel.
9 >
10 > The point of an LTS kernel is it supposed to NOT receive feature
11 > updates, just bug fixes. Given that Artificial Stupidity bots regularly
12 > try to apply updates to stable kernels, is it worth restricting yourself
13 >  to old kernels? Especially when it's not unknown for a bot to try to
14 > backport a patch from kernel X+2, when it depends on a patch from X+1
15 > that hasn't been backported, and anybody using that code finds their
16 > "stable" kernel blowing up in their face.
17 >
18 > The idea behind stable kernels is great. The implementation leaves a lot
19 > to be desired and, as always, the reason is not enough manpower.
20
21 wat