From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage option "--changed-use" not working?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 07:50:03
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:34:52 -0500
3 > "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:23:18PM -0600, ??Q?? wrote
6 >>
7 >>> Thanks for the points you've made about how removal of a flag a user
8 >>> doesn't have enabled could still affect the user. I think I'll
9 >>> still use --changed-use routinely and also periodically run an
10 >>> update with --newuse.
11 >>
12 >> What's the longest that most software on Gentoo goes without an
13 >> update? The next update would, by definition, fix any breakage caused
14 >> by a dropped flag.
15 >
16 > That's true, but it won't hurt me to emerge -puNDv world every once in a
17 > while. I have an alias for it anyway, and I don't think I could break
18 > the habit of typing it occasionally.
22 I do mine this way. I sync the tree with eix, run emerge -uvaDN world
23 then --depclean -a then revdep-rebuild. Once in a while, I run a emerge
24 -e world. I usually do that when KDE upgrades since it doesn't take to
25 much longer.
26
27 I used to just do -u world. I had issues that would pop up sometimes
28 that were really strange and recompiling packages it depends on fixed
29 it. So, I added -D. That fixed a good bit. Then I was always changing
30 some USE flag so I added the -N since if I changed nothing, it did
31 nothing.
32
33 Thing is, you do what you need to to have the system you want. Some
34 update every day. Some update once a week and some once a month and
35 then some less often than that. Thing is, you get to pick that. I just
36 like a update to date system but stable too. I update sometimes twice a
37 week sometimes once every couple weeks.
38
39 This is one of those "it depends" things. Picks what works for you.
40
41 Dale
42
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
48 how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"