From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] peculiar ppp problem
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:33:23
1 Hi group,
2
3 I have been switching my dial-up account between my desktop PC and my
4 netbook eee. Both use identical ppp conf files except the PC uses
5 /dev/ttyS0 and the netbook uses /dev/ttyUSB0(created by the pl2303
6 driver and a usb/serial connector). I'm using separate but identical
7 USR modems.
8
9 Both seem to "work" in that the appropriate LEDs light up on either
10 modem but the log tells a different tale.
11
12 In the PC: Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid nnnn), status = 0x1.
13 Which means I am connected.
14
15 In the netbook, status =0x0. Which means un-connected.
16
17 FWIW on the netbook I'm using systemrescuecd-1.2.0, running /root%
18 pon <isp> on one terminal and attempting to emerge gentoo-sources from
19 a chrooted environment on another terminal which fails, naturally,
20 with 'unable to resolve host address' errors.
21
22 I've done this often before without problems.
23
24 Maxim