From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} backups... still backups....
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 08:51:38
1 > You did not tell us what are you trying to backup; entire system or just
2 > particular files.
3
4 Right now I'm working on particular files and folders but it sounds
5 nice to eventually back up each system in its entirety. That does
6 sounds like a lot of data to move offsite though.
7
8 > Are you afraid of updates or data loss?
9
10 I'm mainly thinking about data loss and break-ins. With updates I
11 find that the problematic package is usually fairly obvious and Gentoo
12 makes it easy to roll back, especially with FEATURES="buildpkg".
13
14 > I have two machine in remote location as well. So I usually upgrade my
15 > local machine first, wait one week and if there are no surprises I upgrade
16 > remote main server first. If everything goes OK (no surprises and/or
17 > complains), I upgrade remote backup machine.
18 > I run "vpn" so I just use rsync over vpn to make an incremental backup daily
19 > (Mon. to Fri.).
20
21 That's the same sort of backup process I'm working on. I have a
22 similar staggered update strategy as well. It came in handy with the
23 udev network device name change recently.
24
25 - Grant