From: "J.Rutkowski" <jrtk@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Project:Installer
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:36:47
1 Anyone take a look at RHEL Kickstart for automated installs?
2 ----
3 J. Rutkowski
4
5 On Fri, Jul 17, 2015, at 12:25 PM, James wrote:
6 >
7 > From [1] we have Project:Installer [2] which looks very interesting.
8 > However, If I were to create a new gentoo installer, I think
9 > I'd leverage ansible and the persistence mode (usb stick) code that
10 > LikeWhoa put together, as a basis for the effort. I'd be most
11 > curious to read other folk's ideas (strategies) to create a more
12 > automated installation semantic for installing gentoo systems. The
13 > handbook
14 > is fine; in fact it is great. But, many gentoo users that have performed
15 > more than a dozen gentoo installs sooner or later get around to their own
16 > installations customizations for a wide variety of valid reasons.
19 > Ansible would lend itself to expanded and very targeted types of system
20 > installs where an accomplished gentoo user could supplement the base
21 > install
22 > with a collection of specific packages and config settings; imho. Say for
23 > example a secure web or mail server, not that it would be the only
24 > way to build such a server, but just one specific method a particular
25 > author
26 > wanted to (share) publish. Surely there are other and better ideas that
27 > folks have used or that they are currently contemplating for routine
28 > gentoo
29 > installs?
32 > Maybe some discussion herein could help shape the efforts of [2,3]?
35 > Naturally, we should remember Release Engineering and their role
36 > as pivotal [3]. [1 and 2] are interesting to read.
39 > James
40 >
41 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo
42 >