From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rooted/compromised Gentoo, seeking advice
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:11:23
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2010 15:03:19 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 05:30:40PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
5 > >
6 > > wrote:
7 > > > > I actually prefer "sudo su -" -- as long as I'm giving it away! :o)
8 > >
9 > > Afaik, there is no reason for "sudo su -" It should be either
10 > >
11 > > su -
12 > >
13 > > or, if you are using sudo,
14 > >
15 > > sudo -i
16 > >
17 > > The disadvantage of "su -" is that it requires the user to know the root
18 > > password. But, "sudo -i" does the same thing without requiring the user
19 > > to know the root password.
20 > >
21 > > You either didn't think or didn't actually try it. "sudo su -" needs a
22 >
23 > password, but it's the
24 > user password. Running su as root never needs a password. Accordingly,
25 > this works on
26 > a stock Ubuntu with no root password.
27 >
28 > "su -" requires the root password unless you're already root, and the root
29 > password may or may not exist.
30 >
31 > I didn't know about "sudo -i" (thanks), but when I tried "sudo -i" it
32 > immediately asked for a password, for which
33 > the user password was sufficient. So it's entirely equivalent to but
34 > slightly shorter than my version. I'll stick with
35 > mine because it's made of parts I already know and won't forget.
36 >
37 > I think that if sudoers don't need to enter passwords, they're still
38 > equivalent, but I have not tried this.
39
40 Sounds to me like he's whinging about sudo and not much else. I find this to
41 be common and far too many people advancing the idea can't define to me basic
42 security concepts. I have also yet to meet someone with a beef against sudo
43 that can show a fundamental weakness with it, and I'm not talking about an
44 isolated case of buffer overflow either - that can happen with any software. I
45 mean a weakness in the methodology of sudo itself.
46
47 Many people have a stuck idea in their heads that the root password is a magic
48 security bullet. In fact, it's no such thing. Like any other password it is
49 simply something you need to prove you know in order to to authenticate
50 yourself. The major threat by analysis on a workstation is stepping away for a
51 leak and forgetting to lock the screen. sudo is adequate protection against
52 this as long as more than 5 minutes have elapsed since the last sudo was run -
53 the prankster may have access to the machine but still does not know any
54 password, including yours. A major threat to finding passwords is shoulder
55 surfing. If one frequently enters the root password, it is equally easy for a
56 shoulder surfer to find it as to find the user's password. Note that if you
57 leave your workstation unlocked with a root session open, there is no such
58 timeout as what one has with sudo.
59
60 Additionally, on a shared machine (i.e. server at work), the root password has
61 to be shared which is a huge hole in itself due to the difficulty of
62 communicating the new password when it is changed. It is trivially easy to
63 communicate a single password for a single user and guarantee it stays secure
64 (major advances in cryptanalysis excepted).
68 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com