From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: modules-load restart
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 12:10:20
1 Am Thu, 16 Mar 2017 18:11:33 -0600
2 schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
3
4 > On 03/16/2017 12:51 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On 16/03/2017 20:04, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
6 > >> I compiled as module: it87
7 > >> run:
8 > >> make
9 > >> make modules_prepare
10 > >> make modules_install
11 > >> ...
12 > >> INSTALL drivers/hwmon/it87.ko
13 > >>
14 > >> add "it87" to modules.conf
15 > >>
16 > >> but running: /etc/init.d/modules-load restart
17 > >> does not restart the module.
18 > >>
19 > >> Do I need to restart the box, this procedure work on a different
20 > >> box without restart.
21 > >>
24 > > What is the correct module name? It does not have to match the file
25 > > name.
26 >
27 > I compile this as module:
28 >
29 > CONFIG_SENSORS_IT87=m
30 >
31 > I did the same on my other computer, add to: /etc/conf.d/modules
32 > it87
33 >
34 > and modules-load restart worked.
35
36 You need to fix two things on the affected system:
37
38 First, changes to /etc/conf.d/modules affect /etc/init.d/modules but
39 not /etc/init.d/modules-load.
40
41 Then, fix your syntax: You're overwriting the modules= assignment with
42 each line.
43
44 Your changes have no effect because you are confusing yourself (and
45 even others here):
46
47 1. There a module autoloader and depmod, modules may be autoloaded
48 2. There's modules-load and modules
49 3. Each have their own config file and init script
50 4. Use the correct pair of config/init script when doing changes
53 Regards,
54 Kai
55
56 Replies to list-only preferred.