From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: VPS has issues emerging everything
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2011 21:17:27
1 On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 18:10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Simon <turner25@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > This issue happend after a 'emerge -uDN world' after I had not done
5 > > any updates for a bit over 60 days. (I was just too busy)
6 > >
7 > > I already have:
8 > > sys-apps/portage-2.1.9.25
9 > >
10 > > and I don't have smartctl, what pkg is it in? I'm not sure it will
11 > > give valid info though as this is a VPS and everything is XENified.
12 > > My root device is /dev/xvda to give you an idea...
13 > >
14 > > But I did run an fsck, a pretty thorough one like fsck.ext3 -c -c -f
15 > > or something like that... I also added another option that made it
16 > > super verbose, so I don't know if anything was found, just that
17 > > *filesystem was modified* by it...
18 > >
19 > > I just did the following emerge, these packages had not been
20 > > recompiled by the emerge -e system that crashed. They all compiled
21 > > top shape, but the problem doesn't happen on every package, so it's
22 > > hard to tell...
23 > >
24 > > emerge app-shells/bash sys-apps/util-linux sys-fs/e2fsprogs
25 > > dev-lang/python sys-apps/portage sys-apps/baselayout sys-fs/udev
26 > > sys-apps/busybox
27 > >
28 > > I will redo a simple fsck.ext3 -c -c -f /dev/xvda and see what it says
29 > > exactly (if it says anything). And then i will --sync and -e @system
30 > > again... I'll reply to the list with my results...
31 > >
32 > > Thanks,
33 > > Simon
36 > smartctl is in smartmontools.
37 >
38 > Possibly consider the ~ version of portage. I'm currently at
39 > 2.2.0_alpha13. It works well for me.
40 >
41 > __Definitely__ check out Dale's suggestion that possibly python-3 got
42 > selected.
45 I don't think the error is portage related, the steps that the OP mention
46 where things freeze are config/compile. If it wasn't a virtual machine, I
47 would suspect cpu throttling, overheating or even memory corruption. Those
48 could apply to VMs, but the host running Xen would have general problems.
49
50 Maybe trying a manual compile, just to exclude portage as a player... You
51 could monitor IO and CPU and see exactly what process is resource hungry.
54 Daniel da Veiga